Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Importance of Protection.

With the web comes the ability to share and show things you have created, pictures you have taken, words you have written, ideas unfolding. And as much as we all love to share just like we did in kindergarten there is always those out there that ruin it for the rest of us. Those who steal, take with out asking, ignore copyright, have no respect for others creations, ideas, pictures or words.

Usually this happens with out us artist ever knowing until we stumble upon this miss use of our work by accident, or a good friend brings it to our attention that someone is using something of ours with out permission. So we protect ourselves with no right clicking to view an image or copy information. We water mark our images and art. We openly discuss intellectual property with friends, family, anyone who will listen to understand that what we create as artist belongs to us the artist. But sadly it still happens.....

.....It happened to me at Christmas this year.....by a relative

I was instantly stuck in an incredibly difficult situation. After years of expressing my anger over fellow students stealing my ideas in art school and the importance of respecting artist. The ugliness was now being forced on me in my living room Christmas morning. I had to bite my tongue. I never thought in a million years that my photography would be stolen from my blog and given as a gift right in front of me! I was angry and hurt.

I know that my anger and hurt must have been written all over my face because the item in question was not mentioned again and put away. It's now over a month later and no one has mentioned the item to me, no one has apologized or asked about my feelings. As an artist, my feelings are hugely important. So to have them ignored is just as hurtful as the crime of stealing my photography. I've turned what has happened over and over again in my mind trying to decide what to do from here. How do I protect my art and photography not just from strangers, but from close family and friends.

I want to warn others of this. I don't want anyone else to get caught off guard by such an unfortunate situation and extremely awkward moment. So I would recommend a few must do's for fellow artists in any field.

1.Of course the obvious is necessary, ALWAYS copyright your work! Even if you are just sharing with a close friend or family member, if you don't want others to use your art, words or photography, make it clear up front.

2.Leave no room for interpretation. Such as, "The photography, art, and words on this blog are copyright Suzanne Litzenberg and may not be used or duplicated in any form except by Suzanne Litzenberg". May seem a bit steep but it will go a long way in avoiding confusion, anger or hurt by lack of good judgment of others. It's very easy to wrongfully trust others to respect your art, photography, and writing.

3. If need be water mark each image! This will help further your cause in making others aware when trying to rip your images off the Internet.

4. Continue to educate your friends and family what copyright means and what intellectual property is.

1 comment:

Holly Zierden said...

Thank you so much for addressing copyright infringement. I am so sorry that happened to you. How devastating as an artist AND a mother to have your photographs basically stolen. As an artist, I understand the importance of our work being "ours" and for no one else. Taking someone else's work and using it as your own is stealing and shows a lack of artistic imagination on their part. Thank you for the tips on how to protect ourselves.