Sunday, July 27, 2008

Finished

After two crazy weeks trying to squeeze in the time, in the wee hours of Saturday night I finished my third watercolor of my two birds series. Was thrilled with how well it came out and don't want to shrink it down a ton to fit into small frames just yet.

The bird was held gently, then set free and is now back with friends.

My inspiration came after a fluke cold spell in San Diego this spring. We were so excited by the light sprinkles and gray sky that we headed out for a walk. I bundled Emma up in some warm pink clothes and out the door we went. When we got back I thought she looked so cute with her pink hood up that I took a ton of photos standing by the door holding my keys. Thinking what cute illustrations they would make later. I came up with my three bird drawings before the night was through, but it took until half way through summer before I managed the time to finish them up. Here are the original photos I took of Emma.



I really wanted to combined my love for the crisp fall weather, Emma and Hyde Park. While expressing the gentleness, love and care children have with animals. Since Donald and I have a huge attachment for London and it's wonderful Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens it was only fitting that my thoughts would be there while I drew. When we were living in London, I would sit and draw for hours in the parks, and take photos every day rain or shine. Living on Queensway gave me direct access to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Every morning I would walk through the entire park and in the evenings stroll through with Donald. My "Two Birds" series is a reflection of the wonderful fall in that park and how magical I think it is, nothing like the blah that is San Diego's North County. I can't wait for the day that I can take my darling daughter and crunch through the autumn leaves in London.


And yes, if you look closely at the picture you can see my Strawberry Shortcake cup I use for my water when I paint that I have had since I was about 7, my Burberry pencil case Donald purchased for me about 4 years ago, and my first piece of Portmeirion that Donald purchase for me about 12 years ago when we were still dating so that I would have something to hold my paint brushes in.

No comments: