Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Book Review


I know with Fashion week running ramped all over the world this month, it's been hard for me to take my eye off of whats up and coming for the spring. Burberry just had their show yesterday in Milan and it looks quite nice. I think Christopher Bailey always does such a wonderful job, even though I have enjoyed other shows of his more. This one still had quite a lot of wonderful trenches walking down the aisle. I know he had said a few years back that he could never tire of redesigning the coat. And this show once again proves it. Surprisingly with my love for Burberry, I don't have one single book about them. I have Chanel, Dior, Gucci, and hoards of other wonderful fashion books, but not one Burberry. So I decided to go and look up in Amazon to see if there was any books written about the fashion house and sadly, no. Then I got worried, I started going through all my fashion books, like "Fashion the century of the designer" and "Sample" but only one sentence between the large books could I find and that wasn't even worth it. So I started down the path of my fashion illustration books like "Stylishly Drawn" and "Fashion Illustration Next" but there was nothing there either. Finally I pulled out my book "100 Years of Fashion Illustration" and came across Burberry. Only a few images, but with Burberrys long history and wonderful past I think it's a book that is need of publishing, a story worth telling. Thomas Burberry was only 21 when he founded "Burberry" and that was over 150 years ago. Thomas invented the trench coat and the water resistant fabric that was used to make it. Check out the short but very informative history of Burberry. And if any one knows of a book that has loads of info about Burberry, I'd love to know of it. I must say though that my book "100 years of Fashion Illustration" is a delight and full of great facts and work spanning 100 years of fashion illustration.

No comments: